It’s Tuesday, and we are in the (hopefully) final day of Adnan Syed’s Post Conviction Relief hearing. I’ve been obsessively following Adnan’s case for a while now, and I couldn’t be more excited at the prospect of Adnan receiving a new trial – or even better – a vacated sentence.
Here are the Top 10 Things I would like to see happen as a result of Adnan’s PCR Hearing.
10. I would like to see legislation enacted to prevent the police and prosecution from bullying and coercing false confessions. I have a feeling there a lot of “Adnan’s” in the state of Maryland, and hopefully, if Adnan is granted a new trial, the state will see the need for a change in the system.
9. I would like to see the state pay for what they’ve done to Adnan. If Adnan is eventually released, he should sue the state for millions for dollars for ruining is name and the years of his life they cost him.
8. I would like to know, finally, who received the CrimeStoppers reward. I have a feeling I know who received, but it would be good to hear it straight from the states mouth.
7. I’d like to see the DNA from this case finally tested to prove who the real killer is.
6. I’d like to see a closer look paid to Don. I’ve always felt Don was fishy, he created a false alibi (proven) and wasn’t as in to Hae as she was to him. He technically had no alibi for the 13th, so he should be, at the very least, considered a suspect.
5. I would like to see Jay held accountable for his lies and actions since January 13, 1999. I don’t believe Jay had anything to do with the murder, but since he admitted to being an accessory to murder, he should have received a jail sentence but got off scott free. I’m willing to bet that Jay, more than anyone, is hoping Adnan doesn’t get a new trial.
4. I want to see Ritz & MacGillivary face some consequences for what they did to Adnan, and in a small way, Jay. They lied (changing Adnan’s age to threaten him with capital murder) and railroaded a 17-year old boy, whose now spent his entire adult life behind bars for a crime he didn’t commit. They deserve to pay, though they will likely never face any actions.
3. I would like to see Kevin Urick disbarred for what he did on this case. He has committed Brady violations, withheld evidence from the prosecution and ruined a 17-year old boys life. He is despicable and should pay with his law license.
2. I would like to see Hae’s killer face the consequences for their actions. Bob Ruff says he knows who Hae’s killer is – I wish he would tell us who he thinks it is. But Hae’s family deserves to know who killed their daughter – it was NOT Adnan Syed.
Lastly, I would like to see Adnan set free and exonerated of this crime. The evidence brought to light by the Undisclosed team, and Bob Ruff, should be enough to prove that Adnan didn’t commit this crime. Adnan deserves a second chance at life – he deserves a family, a career, a life. Both Adnan and Hae’s family have suffered for far too long. The state needs to right this wrong once and for all – and set Adnan free.