Christmas is right around the courner, so I thought it would be a good time to list my favorite Christmas movies. Here they are, in descending order.
10. Christmas Story – I used to REALLY love this movie, until TBS started playing it for 24 hours straight. Now, I just like it.
9. Home Alone – Home Alone came out when I was in my late teens, and it’s a movie I love to this day. That Kevin McCallister was one smart cookie!
8. Polar Express – I’ll admit – I’m 46 years old and I cry every time I watch this beautiful movie about the spirit of Christmas.
7. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer – this movie is a perennial classic, with Hermie, Rudolph and all those mean reindeer who bully and make fun of poor Rudolph. It’s a story of triumph (ok, not really) and one of my all time favorites.
6. Scrooged – this Bill Murray classic is another all time favorite. The story of a total jerk of a guy who is visited by three ghosts is funny and touching.
5. The Santa Clause – the original Santa Clause movie is by far the best of the series, and the most endearing, about a man who accidentally becomes Santa.
4. Christmas Vacation – one of the funniest Christmas movies of all time, Christmas Vacation makes you appreciate your family, because they aren’t the Griswold’s and crazy cousin Eddie.
3. Elf – I watch Elf every time it’s on. Just a fun, sweet movie about a human who was adopted by an elf and raised in the North Pole. Buddy is just awesome.
2. White Christmas – I watch this movie every year with my family. It’s totally cheesy, with cheesy lines and cheesy dance numbers, but it has a good meaning and some great music.
And the best – It’s a Wonderful Life – by far the best Christmas movie ever created. The story of a man who wants to take his own life, only to find out what would happened had he not lived touched my life personally about 25+ years ago, when I was going through a rough patch. It’s a beautiful story that holds up to this day, almost 70 years later.
What are your favorite Christmas movies?
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwanzaa, just Happy Holidays to all.